Sub-Zero is a lethal cryomancer and leader of the reformed Lin Kuei clan. When Sub-Zero was younger, the Lin Kuei were corrupted and destroyed from within, staining their honor. Now serving as Grandmaster, Sub-Zero vows to redeem that honor, pledging to defend the realm from threats near, far, and beyond. In the intergalactic menace Brainiac, Sub-Zero sees a threat to all worlds, and perhaps his greatest opportunity for redemption yet.
Sub-Zero appears as a cameo in Scorpion's battle intro: having lost the fight, he's about to be finished by his nemesis, before the wraith suddenly disappears.
Sub-Zero is a downloadable character for Injustice 2.
Powers and Abilities
As one of the few known descendants of a near-extinct race known as Cryomancers, Sub-Zero possesses the magical ability to control ice. Throughout his life, this power has been honed to perfection. He can flash-freeze enemies within a few seconds, and is capable of conjuring an ice sculpture of himself to act as a layer of defense. By freezing water vapor, he is also able to form highly intricate weapons for use in combat, such as swords, daggers or hammers. His body can even turn into ice and vice versa, allowing him to teleport. As the Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei assassin clan, Sub-Zero is well versed in the various styles of hand-to-hand combat, and extensively utilizes his cryokinetic powers alongside his martial arts skill during fights.
- Ice Blast: Sub-Zero launches an icy projectile at his opponent.
- Unlike in Mortal Kombat, it only freezes the opponent when Meter Burned.
- Slide: Sub-Zero slides across the floor on a trail of ice, flipping the opponent into the air. The Meter Burn version has Sub-Zero follow up with an additional ice blast for increased damage.
- Ice Burst: Sub-Zero pulses out a wave of cryonic energy, knocking the opponent off their feet. The Meter Burn version has Sub-Zero follow up with a shoulder charge, sending the opponent flying.
- (Air) Frost Hammer: Sub-Zero summons his frost hammer in mid-air and slams the head into the ground, knocking the opponent down. The Meter Burn version adds an additional strike for increased damage.
- Polar Puncture: Sub-Zero grabs his opponent and stabs them repeatedly in the abdomen with two ice daggers before jamming them into their chest. The Meter Burn version freezes the opponent, allowing for follow-up attacks.
- Ice Port: Sub-Zero quickly teleports and reappears behind or away from his opponent. (Ability)
- Barrier of Frost: Sub-Zero forms an ice shield in front of him that parries the opponent's attacks and absorbs projectiles.
- Throw: Sub-Zero impales his opponent (in the abdomen) from behind with an ice sword, before he leaps backwards (leaving an Ice Clone in his place) and reappears in front of them (as they are being frozen by the ice sword of his ice clone) leaping towards, and smashing them, with an ice hammer.
Ice Clone: Sub-Zero creates an ice statue of himself. This can be done either on the ground (in which he just leaps back and produces it) or in the air (in which he either does it while backflipping (in which actually stays in place), or actually sends it towards the opponent while executing a flying side kick). Anyone who comes into contact with the Ice Clone is instantly flash-frozen. Two can exist at once, and the ice clone can be thrown at people, which will not freeze the opponent.
Deep Freeze: Sub-Zero strikes the ground with an icy blast, that knocks his opponent backwards. Sub-Zero then slides towards his opponent, flipping them into the air. As they tumble in his direction, he stops his slide and freezes them in mid-air before brutally slamming them with an ice hammer, sending them flying. He then uses Ice Port to teleport in front of them and barrages them with numerous icy spikes, freezing them mid-flight, before leaping towards them, grabbing their head and flipping forward, violently slamming them face-first into the ground, shattering the ice and damaging them.
|Backhand||[ ■ ]||[ X ]|
|Straight Chop||[ ▲ ]||[ Y ]|
|Function-Kneeling Properly||[ X ]||[ A ]|
|Shin Shatter||[ ← + ■ ]||[ ← + X ]|
|Brutal Kick||[ ← + ▲ ]||[ ← + Y ]|
|Lin Kuei Charge||[ ← + X ]||[ ← + A ]|
|Quick Step||[ → + ▲ ]||[ → + Y ]|
|Crushing Hammer||[ → + X ]||[ → + A ]|
|Low Chop||[ ↓ + ■ ]||[ ↓ + X ]|
|Upward Sword||[ ↓ + ▲ ]||[ ↓ + Y ]|
|Ice Trip||[ ↓ + X ]||[ ↓ + A ]|
|Frozen Fist||[ ↑ + ■ ]||[ ↑ + X ]|
|Ice Blade||[ ↑ + ▲ ]||[ ↑ + Y ]|
|Frosted Strike||[ ↑ + X ]||[ ↑ + A ]|
|Forward/Reverse Throw||[ ← / → ■ + X ]||[ ← / → X + A ]|
|Back Throw||[ ■ + X ]||[ X + A ]|
|Roll Escape||[ → → R2 ]||[ → → RT ]|
|Up Air Escape||[ ↑ + R2 ]||[ ↑ + RT ]|
|Away Air Escape||[ ← + R2 ]||[ ← + RT ]|
|Chinese Ninja Warrior||[ ■, ■ ]||[ X, X ]|
|Hailstone||[ ■, ■, ■ ]||[ X, X, X ]|
|Ice Strike||[ ■, ■, ▲ ]||[ X, X, Y ]|
|Permafrost||[ ■, ■, X ]||[ X, X, A ]|
|Icy Death||[ ■, ▲ ]||[ X, Y ]|
|Tundra||[ ■, ▲, X ]||[ X, Y, A ]|
|Ices Up||[ ← + ■, ■ ]||[ ← + X, X ]|
|Cold Encounter||[ ← + ■, ■, ↓ + X ]||[ ← + X, X, ↓ + A ]|
|Cold-Blooded||[ ▲, ▲ ]||[ Y, Y ]|
|Snowfall||[ ▲, ▲, X ]||[ Y, Y, A ]|
|Below Freezing||[ ← + ▲, X ]||[ ← + Y, A ]|
|Chill Out||[ ← + ▲, X, X ]||[ ← + Y, A, A ]|
|Black Ice||[ → + ▲, ▲ ]||[ → + Y, Y ]|
|Ability To Freeze||[ → + ▲, ▲, ■ + X ]||[ → + Y, Y, X + A ]|
|Killing Blow||[ X, X ]||[ A, A ]|
|Ice Burst||[ ↓ , ← , ■ ]||[ ↓ , ← , X ]|
|Polar Puncture||[ ↓ , ← , →, ■ ]||[ ↓ , ← , →, X ]|
|Ice Ball||[ ↓ , → , ▲ ]||[ ↓ , → , Y ]|
|(Air) Frost Hammer||[ ↓ , ← , ▲ ]||[ ↓ , ← , Y ]|
|Slide||[ ← , → , X ]||[ ← , → , A ]|
|Deep Freeze||[ L2 + R2 ]||[ LT + RT ]|
|Ice Klone||[ O ]||[ B ]|
|Ice Burst||[ ↓ , ← , ■ ]||[ ↓ , ← , X ]|
|Klone Toss||[ O ]||[ B ]|
|Klone Smash||[ ↓ + O ]||[ ↓ + B ]|
I arrived in this realm accidentally, driven here by magic unleashed as I forced Kotal Kahn's retreat from Earthrealm to Outworld. I was seeking a route home when Brainiac attacked. I could not allow this vile invader to add this planet, or myself, to his collection. In gratitude for my flawless victory, Batman offered the Justice League's aid. While I waited on him to unlock the magic of inter-realm travel, I provided valuable kombat training to the youngest members of his order. But the spells that were devised went awry. Instead of opening a portal to Earthrealm, they opened a gateway to the Phantom Zone. Now I fight to re-imprison Superman and his followers. They would not have been freed, but for my accidental arrival in this realm, I am now duty-bound to protect it, as if it were my own.
To the right is Sub-Zero's base skin, Grandmaster Kuai Liang. He is wearing his default gear. The remainder of his costumes can be found on his gallery page.
- Like Scorpion before him, Sub-Zero was given a redesign by legendary DC Comics artist, Jim Lee, for his debut in Injustice 2.
- Interestingly, the teaser trailer for Fighter Pack 1, and Sub-Zero's profile picture, depict him with a slightly different mask than what he wears in-game, and in-game a short cape is attached to the upper-back of his outfit, whereas in the "Introducing Sub-Zero" trailer, it is absent.
- Sub-Zero is voiced by Steve Blum, who previously voiced the character in Mortal Kombat X.
- Steve Blum also voices Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) in Injustice 2.
- Sub-Zero is the 3rd character to have broken the 4th wall after Red Hood (Victory Pose) and Flash (Versus Intro) as he performs his infamous "Spine Rip" fatality on the cameraman as his victory pose.
- He mentions the events of Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe in some of his quotes.
- He is familiar with Batman, Catwoman, Darkseid, the Flash, and the Joker when paired with them, and even mentions Dark Kahn.
- Sub-Zero also makes a cameo appearance in Injustice: Gods Among Us.
- Although most of his assets were imported from Mortal Kombat X, this version of Sub-Zero does utilize some techniques from his brother, Bi-Han/Noob Saibot.
- When fighting against himself, he will often question if it is Bi-Han behind the mask.
- Sub-Zero's ending reveals that he arrived in the Injustice Universe after the events of the Story Mode of Mortal Kombat X, where he arrived with the Lin Kuei to force Kotal Kahn and his army to retreat to Outworld.
- The name of Sub-Zero's Super Move, "Deep Freeze", is possibly a reference to the episode of the same name from Batman: the Animated Series, which, coincidentally, centered around an ice-based individual (in that instance, it was Mr. Freeze).
- The name of one of Sub-Zero's combos, "Chinese Ninja Warrior", is possibly a reference to his theme song, which refers to him as such.
- The name of another one of his combos, "Permafrost", is possibly a reference to the character of the same name from the animated series Static Shock.
- Sub-Zero is the first guest character to appear in Injustice 2, but is actually the second guest character to be a part of the Injustice games, the first being his rival, Scorpion, in Injustice: Gods Among Us.
|Injustice: Gods Among Us||Aquaman • Ares • Bane • Batman • Black Adam • Catwoman • Cyborg • Deathstroke • Doomsday • Flash • Green Arrow • Green Lantern • Harley Quinn • Hawkgirl • Joker • Killer Frost • Lex Luthor • Nightwing • Raven • Shazam • Sinestro • Solomon Grundy • Superman • Wonder Woman|
|DLC Characters||Batgirl • Lobo • Martian Manhunter • Scorpion • Zatanna • Zod|
|Injustice 2||Aquaman • Atrocitus • Bane • Batman • Black Adam • Black Canary • Blue Beetle • Brainiac • Captain Cold • Catwoman • Cheetah • Cyborg • Deadshot • Doctor Fate • Flash • Firestorm • Gorilla Grodd • Green Arrow • Green Lantern • Harley Quinn • Joker • Poison Ivy • Robin • Scarecrow • Supergirl • Superman • Swamp Thing • Wonder Woman|
|DLC/Preorder Characters||Black Manta • Darkseid • Hellboy • Raiden • Red Hood • Starfire • Sub-Zero|