Scarecrow is a brilliant psychologist turned super-villain who fights Batman in Gotham City, specializing in techniques and chemicals that manipulate fear. Jonathan Crane was originally a well-respected professor, although he lost credibility when he obsessively took his experiments too far and descended into madness, becoming obsessed with spreading and experiencing fear as the Scarecrow. His trademark fear gas is derived from plants, a fact that Poison Ivy and Swamp Thing both dislike him for.
During Year 1, the Joker had kidnapped Scarecrow and brought him to Metropolis to develop his fear toxin for Joker's scheme. Joker then subjected Crane to his own Joker gas, seemingly killing him. His body was later found by Flash at the city docks which he showed to Batman.
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Scarecrow appears in the Arkham Asylum stage as a transition hazard appearing in cell A8. He injects the player/opponent with his fear toxins, and takes a massive appearance, beats up the player/opponent before sending him/her into the Asylum Kitchen/Theatre.
Scarecrow also appears in one of the S.T.A.R. Labs Missions belonging to Batman, he escapes Arkham Asylum and later takes control of Raven and gets her to fight Batman. As well as in the background of Nightwing's S.T.A.R. Labs Mission, Look Out, where he is tied up, struggling to get out.
Scarecrow is seen in the first scene in the swamp as a member of Grodd's society. He gases Harley so she sees the Joker and is defeated by her when she breaks the illusion.
He later gases Wonder Woman with Superman stating she corrupted him and is defeated by her when she breaks the illusion.
Powers and Abilities
Scarecrow is a master of intimidation and fear induction, using his own appearance, knowledge of psychology and chemical creations to inspire terror in his victims, letting their own fears cripple and destroy them.
In his exaggerated monster form, Scarecrow uses a flail-type sickle to attack his opponents, grabbing them and pulling them towards him. The sickle is extremely long ranged, reaching his opponent from afar. In this form, he also has fear powers of his own, as he can manipulate his specialized Fear Toxin, shooting it out of his mouth and from his hands.
- Death Spin: Scarecrow lifts his chain up high in the air and spins it around, akin to a helicopter, attacking the opponent. He can either move forwards or backwards during this move. The Meter Burn variation has Scarecrow slam his sickle down, bouncing the opponent upwards for an extension of combos.
- Scythe Grab: Scarecrow launches his sickle towards the opponent, grabbing them by the stomach then pulling them forcefully. The Meter Burn variation shows Scarecrow pulling his opponents closer with the sickle, grabs them by the neck, then blasts out Fear Toxin from his mouth into their face.
- Toxin Breath: Scarecrow fires out a blast of Fear Toxin from his mouth towards the opponent, damaging them.
- Fear-Ferno: Scarecrow uses his fear powers, summoning a wave of Fear Toxin from the ground-up. The Meter Burn variation has Scarecrow moving forward and summoning two waves.
- Fear Toxin: Scarecrow fires off a gigantic blast of energy from his hands, knocking the opponent away. It also does extra damage over time after hitting them.
- Schizophrenia: Scarecrow grabs the opponent, then all of a sudden he teleports to both sides of them, as the two versions of himself (his exaggerated monster form and his regular form), and grabs his opponent's limbs. They then pull the limbs, snapping their bones, and then the "monster" Scarecrow slams them onto the ground as the "regular" Scarecrow vanishes.
- Panic-Port: Scarecrow sinks into the ground, vanishing into a portal, to which he then reappears behind the opponent.
- Inner Fear: Scarecrow's character trait ability is a trait that has a fear meter, which can be charged up to perform a devastating move.
- If the Fear Meter is completely charged up, Scarecrow has the ability to perform Tramautize, a full screen move in which Scarecrow stomps the ground, sending a shockwave of energy that stuns the opponent. The Fear Meter can be charged up by doing any fear toxin-related moves, which includes almost all of Scarecrow's special moves.
- This trait also does slight damage to the opponent over time whenever Scarecrow is close enough to them.
- Grab: Scarecrow grabs his opponent, then uppercuts them with his sickle, spinning them around. He then uses his sickle to hook the shoulder of his opponent, and then forcibly pulls them towards the ground.
- Death Bed: Scarecrow uses his sickle to rip open a hole in reality, as crows come out to signal the coming of an even bigger chain coming from inside the rip. The opponent is then pulled into a graveyard, where a gigantic version of Scarecrow drags the opponent with the chain, smashing and pounding them into the ground twice. The move eventually ends with Scarecrow smashing the opponent downwards into a grave with their name engraved on the headstone.
|Scarred Strike||[ ■ ]||[ X ]|
|Brutal Kick||[ ▲ ]||[ Y ]|
|Ground Shaker||[ X ]||[ A ]|
|Hideous Heel||[ ← + ■ ]||[ ← + X ]|
|Heavy Hook||[ ← + ▲ ]||[ ← + Y ]|
|Scythe Swipe||[ ← + X ]||[ ← + A ]|
|Soaring Crow||[ → + ■ ]||[ → + X ]|
|Hook Lunge||[ → + ▲ ]||[ → + Y ]|
|Scythe Slam||[ → + X ]||[ → + A ]|
|Side Cut||[ ↓ + ■ ]||[ ↓ + X ]|
|Rising Scythe||[ ↓ + ▲ ]||[ ↓ + Y ]|
|Spinning Fear||[ ↓ + X ]||[ ↓ + A ]|
|Blade Bash||[ ↑ + ■ ]||[ ↑ + X ]|
|Cross Swipe||[ ↑ + ▲ ]||[ ↑ + Y ]|
|Swinging Scythe||[ ↑ + X ]||[ ↑ + A ]|
|Forward/Reverse Throw||[ ← / → ■ + X ]||[ ← / → X + A ]|
|Back Throw||[ ■ + X ]||[ X + A ]|
|Roll Escape||[ → → R2 ]||[ → → RT ]|
|Up Air Escape||[ ↑ + R2 ]||[ ↑ + RT ]|
|Away Air Escape||[ ← + R2 ]||[ ← + RT ]|
|Hallucinations||[ ■, ■ ]||[ X, X ]|
|Dark Perception||[ ■, ■, X ]||[ X, X, A ]|
|Mind Tricks||[ ■, ▲ ]||[ X, Y ]|
|Subliminal Messages||[ ■, ▲, X ]||[ X, Y, A ]|
|Chemical Mayhem||[ ← + ■, ▲ ]||[ ← + X, Y ]|
|Fear Is Power||[ ← + ■, ▲, ■ + X ]||[ ← + X, Y, X + A ]|
|Another Experiment||[ → + ■, X ]||[ → + X, A ]|
|Delusional Episodes||[ → + ■, X, X ]||[ → + X, A, A ]|
|Deep Agony||[ ▲, ▲ ]||[ Y, Y ]|
|Grip On Reality||[ ▲, ▲, → + X ]||[ Y, Y, → + A ]|
|Nature of Horror||[ ← + ▲, ▲ ]||[ ← + Y, Y ]|
|Beware||[ ← + ▲, , ■ ]||[ ← + Y, Y, X ]|
|Be Afraid||[ ← + ▲, , ■, X ]||[ ← + Y, Y, X, A ]|
|Mind Over Body||[ → + ▲, ■ ]||[ → + Y, X ]|
|Lord of Despair||[ → + ▲, ■, X ]||[ → + Y, X, A ]|
|Overdose||[ X, → + ▲ ]||[ A, → + Y ]|
|Succumb To Fear||[ X, → + ▲, ■ + X ]||[ A, → + Y, X + A ]|
|Death Spin||[ ↓ , ← , ■ ]||[ ↓ , ← , X ]|
|Scythe Grab||[ ← , →, ■ ]||[ ← , →, X ]|
|Toxin Breath||[ ← , →, ▲ ]||[ ← , →, Y ]|
|Fear-Ferno||[ ↓ , ← , ▲ ]||[ ↓ , ← , Y ]|
|Fear Toxin||[ ↓ , ← , X ]||[ ↓ , ← , A ]|
|Schizophrenia||[ ↓ , ← , → , X ]||[ ↓ , ← , → , A ]|
|Panic Port||[ ↓ , ↑ ]||[ ↓ , ↑ ]|
|Death Bed||[ L2 + R2 ]||[ LT + RT ]|
|Inner Fear||[ O ]||[ B ]|
|Traumatize||[ O ]||[ B ]|
After studying Brainiac's blood, I tweaked my fear toxin to exploit his alien biology. And as I gained control of his shattered mind, I also gained control of his ship. I began to explore Brainiac's enormous collection, soon realizing it was an unprecedented opportunity for study. Billions of species, from millions of worlds. Each with its own phobias and fears. Now, the Skull Ship is my laboratory. As it glides through the vast darkness of space, its collected beings are subjected to their worst nightmares. With each I study, my knowledge grows. It may take decades, but I will become the universe's greatest master of fear.
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Scarecrow's appearance in this game is heavily-inspired by his Arkham Asylum appearance: he wears raggedy brown garbs over his chest and stitched brown pants, a hangman's noose over his neck, with his mask having both a hood over it and needle like stitching in it, with gas filters on both sides of his mouth. On his right hand he wears a customized glove with several syringes attached to them connected to a tube filled with his fear toxin.
Scarecrow's appearance in this game is vastly different: his normal appearance appears to have been inspired by his appearance in the Dark Knight Trilogy, in that he wears a white coat over a formal suit, a burlap bag (that features three gas filters, one on each side of his jaw, and a third in the middle, over his mouth) over his face and a loose hangman's noose around his neck; his in-game playable appearance is far more terrifying due to the effects of his Fear Toxin: he takes an appearance of a tall, nightmarish creature, with features resembling those of a scarecrow and a skeletal corpse, his eyes and mouth glow bright red, and during in-game, he fights with a chained hook-like sickle.
To the right is the base skin for Scarcrow, Fear Gas. He is wearing his default gear. The remainder of his costumes can be found on his gallery page.
- Scarecrow appears differently in the comic than he does in the game, most likely due to the fact he was not revealed as a stage transition character until some time after his initial appearance in the comic.
- Though Scarecrow appears in several panels in the Year Five comic series, this was a production oversight and as such is considered non-canon, as confirmed by Brian Buccellato on Twitter.
- Scarecrow's appearance in Injustice: Gods Among Us and stage transition in the same game is a reference to the 2009 video game, Batman: Arkham Asylum.
- Scarecrow's voice actor, Robert Englund, is most well known for playing the famous slasher film character, Freddy Krueger, a demonic being that also feeds on fear.
- In fact, one of Scarecrow's intro quotes is "Welcome to your nightmare."
- Robert Englund has voiced DC villains before, specifically Felix Faust in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, as well as the Riddler in the animated series, The Batman.
- Depending on which "leg" gear piece is equipped, Scarecrow can be either taller or shorter than most other characters.
|Injustice: Gods Among Us||Aquaman • Ares • Bane • Batman • Black Adam • Catwoman • Cyborg • Deathstroke • Doomsday • Flash • Green Arrow • Green Lantern • Harley Quinn • Hawkgirl • Joker • Killer Frost • Lex Luthor • Nightwing • Raven • Shazam • Sinestro • Solomon Grundy • Superman • Wonder Woman|
|DLC Characters||Batgirl • Lobo • Martian Manhunter • Scorpion • Zatanna • Zod|
|Injustice 2||Aquaman • Atrocitus • Bane • Batman • Black Adam • Black Canary • Blue Beetle • Brainiac • Captain Cold • Catwoman • Cheetah • Cyborg • Darkseid • Deadshot • Doctor Fate • Flash • Firestorm • Gorilla Grodd • Green Arrow • Green Lantern • Harley Quinn • Joker • Poison Ivy • Robin • Scarecrow • Supergirl • Superman • Swamp Thing • Wonder Woman|
|DLC/Preorder Characters||Darkseid • Red Hood • Starfire • Sub-Zero|