Zod as he appears in Injustice: Gods Among Us
160 lbs (72 kg)
Adventure Comics #283 (April 1961)
"Kneel before Zod!"
He is a Power User. He was officially released on July 2, 2013.
General of Krypton, Zod was banished to the Phantom Zone for attempting to conquer Krypton. An ultra-nationalist, Zod will do anything to promote Krypton supremacy, including genocide.
Powers and Abilities
Like Superman, General Zod is a Kryptonian and under the yellow sun of the Sol system, he gains superhuman powers of the highest known degree. Like Superman, Zod gains superhuman strength, speed, stamina, invulnerability, power of flight, and an array of extrasensory senses including superhearing and various vision powers. Whereas Superman lacks formal training and relies on combining his powers with overwhelming force to overcome his opponents, Zod is a trained soldier who employs his powers with lethal effectiveness.
Zod is a skilled hand to hand combatant and when he combines this with his super strength and speed he can deliver a series of powerful blows for maximum internal damage against his opponent, and when using his superspeed to read his enemy's movements Zod can parry their attacks before responding with a bone breaking counterattack. Though Zod prefers facing his enemies on the ground, he can use his speed and flight together for a sudden charge followed up by a barrage of punches. Zod uses his heat vision in a more refined and tactical manner than Kal-El, instead of using single bursts of energy for closing the distance in a long range strike, Zod fires his heat vision at a single confined spot and continuously fires to let the charge build into a large explosion of fire and energy, and Zod can drag the beam and the explosive effect with it across the battlefield. Unlike Superman, Zod does not use the cold breath to immobilize his opponent but instead uses small gusts of wind from his super breath to undermine their footing, leaving them vulnerable to attack.
Uniquely in Injustice, Zod's time in the Phantom Zone has left him with the ability to open small portals into the Zone itself. This allows Zod to summon a set of Kryptonian sidearms for sudden shots, either a single blast or multiple, as well as summon a larger rifle to fire slow or fast moving charges, either a single blast or a rising series of three. Most dangerous of all from this new power is the fact that Zod can temporarily trap his enemies in a crystal prison of the Phantom Zone, though instead of leaving them trapped indefinitely, Zod only uses this as a means of stunning his enemy to deliver a quick follow up attack. Lastly, Zod can summon a Wraith from the Zone to assist him in battle, though if his concentration is broken while the Wraith is on the field, it will return to the Zone.
- Sidearm: Zod summons a Kryptonian handgun and fires a single laser blast at his opponent. The Meter Burn version has Zod summon two handguns and fire multiple shots.
- Kryptonian Rifle: Zod summons a Kryptonian rifle and fires a single ball of energy at his opponent. The Meter Burn version has Zod fire three blasts, the last two going in higher arcs while the first remains going straight.
- Fast Kryptonian Rifle: Zod summons a Kryptonian rifle and fires a rapidly moving ball of energy at his opponent. The Meter Burn version has Zod fire three blasts, the last two going in higher arcs while the first remains going straight.
- Slow Kryptonian Rifle: Zod summons a Kryptonian rifle and fires a single slow moving ball of energy. The Meter Burn version has Zod fire three blasts, the last two going in higher arcs while the first remains going straight.
- Zod Charge: Zod flies towards his opponent, snatches them and tosses them over his shoulder back down headfirst into the ground. The Meter Burn version has Zod beat them a few times when they land, then fly back to fire a blast of heat vision down on them.
- Ground Blast: Zod fires a burst of heat vision at his opponent, causing a small explosion at their feet. The Meter Burn version has Zod rapidly drag the heat vision across the ground towards his opponent, causing multiple bursts of heat from the beams.
- Close Ground Blast: Zod fires a close burst of heat vision onto the ground, causing a small explosion. The Meter Burn version has Zod rapidly drag the heat vision across the ground towards his opponent, causing multiple bursts of heat from the beams.
- Far Ground Blast: Zod fires a burst of heat vision behind his opponent, holds it, and then causes an explosion. The Meter Burn version has Zod rapidly drag the heat vision across the ground towards his opponent, causing multiple bursts of heat from the beams.
- Phantom Strike: Zod jabs his opponent in the abdomen. The Meter Burn version has Zod trap his opponent in a Phantom Zone crystal before punching it, shattering the crystal and harming his enemy.
- General Parry: Zod catches the opponent's attack, twists their arm and forces them to kneel with a kick to the back of their leg, and slams his elbow down on the opponent's arm, before kicking them away.
Phantom Wraith: Zod can call the Wraith of the Phantom Zone. He can make it either slash or grab his opponent and make it feast on the opponents neck for a Combo opportunity.
- Grab: Zod grabs his opponent, and while they're reeling, fires his heat vision into their chest, forcing them to their knees as he orders, "Kneel before Zod!" and then he flies behind them and blasts them with another burst of heat vision.
- Galactic Destruction: Zod flies in the air and grabs his opponent, then flies into space and smashes them through the moon. He then blasts them back to Earth with his heat vision.
Zod is bald, with a pair of goggles just above his eyes, with a stylized beard covering some of his face. He wears a black shirt under a set of dark gray armor, large shoulder pads with glyphs carved into them, silver bladed gauntlets over black gloves, a dark yellow belt with a circular pattern on it, black baggy pants and black boots with silver linings at the cut off.
- "This planet will be mine!" - Intro
- "I win, I always win! " - Outro
- "No one can help you." - During Meter Burn Phantom Strike
- "Kneel before Zod!" - During his grab/throw
- "Die, Superman." - Occasionally after combos on Superman
- "It's my world now." - Occasionally after combos on (Regime) Superman
- "Swallow your shame."
- "There's no where to hide."
- "Zod always wins." - After winning a round
- "All shall kneel." - Clash with any Character
- "Submit or be destroyed." - Clash with any Character
- "All that was yours is now mine." - Clash with any Character
- "I will bring you to your knees." - Clash with any Character
- "You dare defy me?" - Clash with any Character
- "Your defeat is inevitable." - Clash with any Character
- "Welcome to a world of pain." - Clash with any Character
- "Why prolong your suffering?" - Clash with Superman
- "You fail, son of Jor-El." - Clash with Superman
- Zod also appears in the Phantom Zone Transition in the Fortress of Solitude Stage though he looks much more like his comic book counterpart.
- Zod was revealed to be in the season pass along with Lobo, Batgirl and Scorpion through data stored in the game's code.
- Zod was seen at E3 for the first time, and was playable for the people attending.
- Zod was officially revealed during "Clueless Gamer", a skit on the late night talk show Conan.
- Zod's official trailer was released on June 21st.
- Zod's voice actor Nolan North has previously voiced Superboy and Superman in Young Justice, and Penguin and Black Mask in Batman: Arkham City.
- Many of Zod's in-game quotes comes from his lines in Superman II. His quote "Kneel before Zod" comes from his infamous line throughout the film, his intro quote "This planet will be mine." is a reference to when the Phantom Zone crystal was shattered to which Zod and his followers, Ursa and Non, landed on the moon, and his outro quote "I win, I always win!" is what he said when surprised at how easy it was to defeat Earth's military.
- Zod is the third DLC character to appear on the IOS version of the game.
- Zod is the only DLC character to have a 2nd skin besides the default. He also the first DLC character for the game to have another skin.